RE-CHARGE AND RE-FOCUS!
Spring is coming (at least it is in the Southern hemisphere) and it's time to brush away any cobwebs of Winter and re-charge and re-focus our minds. Join Quila (my dog) and me for Shavasana in September - five minutes of shavasana every day for each day in September.
Shavasana is a pose that:
- Induces both physical and mental relaxation
- Reduces headache, fatigue and insomina
- Helps to lower blood pressure
- Helps to develop awareness and focus
It seems so simple but is probably one of the most difficult poses to do.
Take the opportunity to have five minutes to be still, focus and relax. You might be surprised by how much tension is in your body or how distracted or busy your mind is.
- Each day in September, get into shavasana and stay there for at least five minutes. Feel free to stay there longer.
Caution: Do not perform shavasana if you are uncomfortable laying on your back, or you are pregnant and approaching or in your third trimester. For modifications and alternative poses, see Shavasana - The Pose, Alternatives and Modifications.
- If you miss a day, make up for it the following day by doing an additional session or a longer session.
- Aim to practice at least four days a week.
Frequent and regular sessions are key to experiencing the benefits of this practice. So, consider a session that is longer than 15 minutes to be equivalent to 3 days' practice. (This is for people like my brother who decide to do a 35 minute practice once a week.)
- Minutes laying in shavasana for a class relaxation can be counted.
- Minutes laying in bed before getting up or going to sleep do not count.
The idea is to have a distinct break, a period where you consciously stop and relax.
WHAT DO I WHEN I'M IN SHAVASANA?
To help you physically and mentally relax, try:
- Scanning your body and focusing on tight muscles.
Breathe into tight muscles and let the tension seep away with the out breath.
- Focusing on your breath and feeling the sensation of it flowing in and out.
- Counting your breaths.
- Track your progress on Social Workout.
- Share your experiences on your favourite app using the hash tag #ShvSep.
- Support your fellow participants through Social Workout, FaceBook or Google+.
TAKE TIME TO BE STILL!